The Mercury provides news and fun every day, but your help is essential. If you think Portland benefits from smart local journalism and artistic coverage, please consider making a small monthly contribution, because without you there is no us. Thanks for your help!
New Seasons management pushes back against unionization efforts. New seasons
GOOD AFTERNOON, PORTLAND! Another hot day tomorrow (with highs in the 70s), but watch for storms late afternoon tomorrow and into Friday! But for now let’s be on the lookout for NEW.
IN THE LOCAL NEWS:
• As workers suspected, it didn’t take New Seasons management long to crush a fledgling union at the grocer’s “Seven Corners” store. Check out the latest from our Alex Zielinski.
From a letter sent by New Seasons CEO Nancy Lebold to workers:
“Going forward, I intend to share my personal experience and the opinions I have formed over the years as to why I believe a union is not necessary for staff at a progressive and independent grocer like ours.” https://t.co/pl7smDNIMb
— Alex Zielinski (@alex_zee) June 1, 2022
• The cops have FINALLY released more information about a shootout between them and a driver that ended with one victim in the hospital…but as usual, their responses only inspire more questions. Our Isabella Garcia has the latest.
Fresh off of her embarrassing appearance at TEDXPortland where she nearly got booed off the stage, gun-loving gubernatorial candidate Betsy Johnson is now the subject of this oregonian investigation, in which we learn that Betsy not only owns regular firearms, but also a MACHINE GUN!
Christine Drazan and Tina Kotek claim first place in gubernatorial race, but many voters remain undecided: Poll https://t.co/RZdpWsw0j7
—Jamie Goldberg (@Jamiebgoldberg) June 1, 2022
• ICYMI, the City of Portland was recently defrauded of $1.4 million in a hack, and while investigations are ongoing, and we are learning more about How? ‘Or’ What it happened, the the city is not as open to Why it happened.
• In 2021, local nonprofit Outside the Frame partnered with Open Signal to teach homeless youth how to make films with 360° cameras. But they were never able to project the immersive works properly until OMSI offered to hold an event in its planetarium. Chase Hutchinson has the story.
• There’s a new biography on famed politician Mark O. Hatfield that recounts some of the highlights (and lows) of his varied career. Does this do Hatfield justice? Find out in this review by entertaining history buff Joe Streckert.
Do you like RED FANG? (Yes, you do!) So earn FREE TICKETS to see Red Fang at @CrystalPortland before they go on sale! https://t.co/M7gnrf0UdO
— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) June 1, 2022
IN NATIONAL/GLOBAL NEWS:
• The white racist accused of murdering 10 people in a Buffalo grocery store shooting has been charged with 25 counts, including hate crime murder and domestic terrorism.
• And it doesn’t stop:
BREAKING: Several people were injured late Wednesday afternoon in a shooting at a medical building in Tulsa, Oklahoma, police said. https://t.co/I5XWsvOC2H
— The Daily Beast (@thedailybeast) June 1, 2022
• Meanwhile, in Uvalde, Texas, the city’s police chief is loudly proclaiming that he is in fact cooperating with Texas state investigators who previously said the chief was keeping quiet following his catastrophic handling of the town’s elementary school massacre.
• The mutual libel lawsuit between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard has come to an unsatisfactory conclusion…but how could it be otherwise?
• Facebook COO (I refuse to call her by her dumb new name) Sheryl “Lean In” Sandberg reflects on her retirement from the world-ruining juggernaut, so I hope she’s proud of herself.
• It’s a big NOPE!
Throughout the month of June, the USMC takes #Pride to recognize and honor the contributions of our LGBTQ service members. We remain committed to fostering an environment free of discrimination and uphold the values of equal treatment, with dignity and respect.#PrideMonth #USMC pic.twitter.com/MOyvFmyJiB
— US Marines (@USMC) June 1, 2022
• And finally… tonight I hope you sleep like a baby. Ok, maybe not this baby.
“You will sleep like a baby” they said…pic.twitter.com/CZg375hzBB
— Morissa Schwartz (Dr. Rissy) (@MorissaSchwartz) May 31, 2022